May 23, 2009

Memorial weekend fun!

We have had so much fun in the last couple of days! Friday night some friends from church invited some families over for pizza and a water balloon fight. At least they said it was for the kids, but truth be told, I think the parents had just as much fun. My cheeks hurt from laughing after the evening. Here are the kiddos from the three families who had kids. This group of kids (and their moms) will also be doing a book study together this summer and we also got water park passes together. I am sure there will be more pictures of this group of kids as the summer progresses.

Today I decided I did not want to sit around, so we decided to get lunch and take our bikes to Woodward Park. A 300 acre park with tons of bike trails, ponds, nature, and play equipment.

Do you ever have those days where you realize you are living the good life, and wish you could bottle it up and keep it? Maybe even freeze time? Today was one of those days.

As we ate lunch, squirrels kept popping up out of their holes to peak at us. The big highlight was a possum who got in fight with a squirrel next to our picnic table. I had never seen a possum that close before, and the fight with the squirrel just made Hunter's day! The possum played dead for while after we got too close and scared the squirrel away for him. Then he cautiously got up and walked away.

Then we hopped on the bikes and rode around the park for almost an hour. It was a perfect day. Not too hot (almost 90 degrees), and often shaded. There are streams throughout the park and it was just really nice. It was wonderful to get out and get some exercise as a family. We heard a woodpecker, saw wild strawberries, and watched millions more squirrels.
We found a shaded stream that was very shallow and clean with a lot of shade. I had the foresight to bring the kid's suits, so I put them on them and let them play for about an hour. They were loving it! It wore them out too. As we got in the car to go home, Hunter was begging to not have to take a nap when we got home. Within 10 minutes down the road, he was asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment