Jan 28, 2011

A Whirlwind of a Week

Sometimes a normal week turns into a whirlwind at the drop of a hat. The kids and I were having a lazy day. I was in my scruffy clothes (yee-up, this is me in my thermal shirt, fast pig tails, no makeup and glasses), homeschooling Hunter, while simultaneously trying to photograph some new shoes (not recommended - sometimes a 6 year old hijacks the camera and turns the tables on you - see below) ,and the phone rang. I'm hearing my mom through the answering machine calling for me to hurry up and answer - it was urgent.
My grandpa was en-route to the hospital in critical condition and not expected to make it. He had been found not breathing and they had had to shock him with paddles to get his heart going again. Life lurched in a big way and when this happens, I am never in an organized state of mind. This was the current state of my house:I was right in the middle of projects and chores and the kids had made the place a disaster. I was under the gun to get several orders out, and now I was in a whirlwind of trying to decide if I should be rushing to his bedside. I waited by the phone for updates and I decided to rush when he actually survived and was in critical care three hours away. It only took me two hours to finish up a couple orders, notify customers of possible delays, pack for several days for myself and the kids, load the car, get gas and get going. I felt that was an accomplishment. We arrived at UC Davis Medical Center in scruffy clothes and an overflowing car at 10:30 at night. We waited until after midnight for updates and when there really were none, we went to a hotel. The kids and I went between hotels and the hospital waiting area for two more days. I brought lots of toys and the kids did amazingly good sitting and playing in a small area for hours on end. We made many trips to the cafeteria and back. Many, many trips up to the 6 floor of this building, down to the bottom floor cafeteria. Hunter did his school work. Ainsley played with her tea set she brought, etc, etc. Finally, Papaw turned a corner and became responsive and could nod and recognize us. I went in and spoke to him a couple times and the second time he tried to talk and was aware of me. It was hard to see him full of tubes and wires, on a ventilator and looking so frail. We came back yesterday as it was expected that he would be there at least another week. Tone came home for four days today so I may leave the older two kids with him and drive back with Tessa tomorrow as he is still in very critical condition and it is unknown still if he will actually pull through.

Sometimes, life lurches.
Sometimes, you just have to go with it.
Sometimes, miracles happen.
Sometimes, grief happens.
Sometimes, prayers are all you've got.


  1. Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. You and your family are in my prayers.

  2. Jenny,
    Thinking of you and your family and Grandpa...
    You have such an awesome, grace filled attitude... :) <3

    Your Sister in Christ,
    He is our only hope of heaven!


  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope things get better.

  4. Jenny,
    you and your family are covered in my prayers!!! It's scary how quickly things can turn upside down, isn't it? It's a comfort to know that God is in control, and that you can lean on Him and trust in Him.
    What a blessing that you've had your grandfather so long! I lost mine last year to cancer, and I miss him so much. God does wondrous healing, though! Keep trusting!

    ♥ Bethany

  5. I read this three days ago in reader and couldn't comment, but have been praying for you and your family ever since and will continue to do so. God bless.

  6. I happened upon your blog as I was looking for nap mats for my preschool classroom. I love your quotes and insight.
    Thank you for sharing--
    My thoughts are with your family